August progress, retirement epiphany, and goals for September
I can hardly believe it is just a month since I set myself the following goals for August:
- Decide which funds to use for my stocks and shares ISA
- Increase income by selling on eBay
It’s not a long list, and I’ll deal with these quickly:
- Unexpectedly, I had to switch ISA provider. Suffice to say I’m waiting for funds to be moved to the new platform, so will pick funds this month.
- I sold 5 items, for a grand total of £15.69! Not exactly a wild success, but small steps…
However, the reason I can’t believe it’s been just a month since I set those goals is that mentally I feel a lot has changed.
It may sound dramatic, but I would describe my realisation a couple of weeks ago that I want to retire at 55 as an epiphany!
Maybe it’s the effect of having one clear financial goal, but I feel differently somehow. Inspired and, yes, excited! To achieve the goal I am going to have to find ways of earning more money, and my mind has been racing with ideas. Some have been there for a while, but there’s been a subtle shift and I’m suddenly full of new determination to actually try some out. This blog is called ‘a year of thinking about money’, and in the past few weeks I haven’t been able to stop thinking. Not about money exactly, but about what I could do, what changes I could make, to earn money in new ways. It’s about lessening the risk of being dependent on my salary, and being more in control of my earnings.
I’ve read a number of books over the past few weeks:
‘How to Start a Business Without Any Money’ by Rachel Bridge – if you’re at all interested in doing exactly what the title says, then read this book, it’s excellent!
‘A Bit on the Side: 500 Ways to Boost Your Income’ by Jasmine Birtles – this is a completely different type of book, but excellent for brain-storming. It’s full of suggestions for how to earn ‘a bit on the side’ – selling your hair anyone?! – and I defy anyone to read it and not find at least 10 ideas that they couldn’t try themselves.
So what does this sudden awareness of my new financial goal mean for my targets in September?
- Decide which funds to use for my stocks and shares ISA (again…)
- Increase income by selling on eBay (again…). I’m going to help this along by giving myself a kick up the backside with point # 3…
- Declutter, and specifically attempt the 30-day Minimalism Game #MinsGame set by The Minimalists. It will involve getting rid of 1 item on 1st September, 2 items 2nd September, 3 items on 3rd, and so on. It’s already the 4th, so I’m playing catch-up and have 10 to find today…
- Investigate if any of the ideas I have for making money have ‘legs’. At the moment, ideas are bouncing around my head. Are any worth pursuing, either because they involve less work so are easier to fit in around my day job, or because they have more potential to make money? Thoughts include investing in property, setting up a local pet-sitting service, and an idea for a product I’d like to sell.
- Redesign my blog and choose myself a new WordPress theme. Any tips or suggestions for what to look for from more experienced bloggers will be very welcome here!
I’m so full of enthusiasm I actually can’t wait to get cracking on these over the coming month!